PG AND RESEARCH DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
The Department of Geography was established with B.Sc. Geography in 1968. M.Sc. Geography was introduced in 2003 and then elevated as Research Department in 2015 with Ph.D. (Full-Time and Part-Time) degree programme. The objective of the course is to provide the students on fundamental of geography with practical knowledge such as cartography survey, Remote Sensing GIS and GPS.
The Department has 3 regular and 6 guest lecturer teaching faculty members and one lab assistant to provide the needs of students. All regular teaching faculty members are appointed by Government of Tamil Nadu recruited through TRB and the faculty members are qualified with Ph.D. holders. The faculty members act as mentors, guiding the students to develop the map making techniques and required to become successful person in the job industry as well as in the society. They are also involved in research activities in various fields like Cartography, GIS Analysist and GPS Survey.
The Department has mobile GPS systems for collecting spatial data and mapping procedures. The laboratory of this department is having the instruments such as Chain, Plan table, Prismatic campus, Abney level, Dumpy level, Indian Clinometers for land surveying besides, LCD projector, TV are also used for classroom teaching and which are purchased from the funds allotted by the Government of Tamil Nadu and UGC. The department is having 1718 books. After completing the degree, most of the students are getting appointments in State Government, Central Government and reputed private GIS software oriented companies.